I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Part II: Happy New Year. A Year in Review



In high school, a couple of my closest friends made up a club and called ourselves Desperado Beta Kappa. It was an inside joke in that we were creating a "secret" social club because we couldn't have been less socially active at the time. But, as all ironic things go, our secret club soon became the topic of all conversation and we had girls begging us to join. I think that this social change was best described to me in my ten year high school reunion by one of my friends who really was one of the cool kids. "You were pretty cool for a nerd." I still laugh at this because the truth is I put myself out every day to be nice to everyone and thus, was friends with everyone and melted into every click until I finally created my own. 

To my high school buddies who see this picture, you already know what I did today. For the rest of you I will explain. As long as I could remember a few of us girls would head out for a great New Years Eve but we would always make a stop at the bay and drop in our lists. In these lists we would list the things we wished for in the New Year. Some of them were resolutions but most of the things on my list were simply my aspirations. Even if they were impossible to imagine,I would write down the secrets of my heart. What I realized is that by physically launching my thoughts out into the universe I could see the possible in the impossibility. Even if it was in my subconscious. We called it "brujerias" or witchcraft but it was just silly girls with a tradition. 

This year I've decided to relaunch my brujeria but I realize that now my list is more about getting rid of things than wishing for more things. Sure I still have some wild ideas in there but now that I'm older I realize it just takes planning on my part more than wishing. And the list is empty of regrets but full of fond memories I hope to repeat soon. Lastly, my list longs for me to see my friends soon. I hope to have this be the first wish that comes true. 

What's on your list for the coming year? I hope they all come true.



Here are just a few of my cherished memories this holiday season.

1st smile






great grandma Tillie


Uncle Jerry

1st day back from hospital









grandma made new skirts

Uncle John visited


Natalie made stocking with Sylvia and Mike made stocking stuffer








1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! I've been waiting for these pictures. Baby Dominic is perfect, and I can't believe how old the triplets look. I love your list tradition. If we had water to drop a list in here, I'd do it. Does flushing a list down the potty count? I suppose we could do that. Not as romantic though. Happy New Year!! I feel robbed that we moved before I got to know your family as well as I hoped. I hope you guys stay there a long, long time, because we most certainly plan to come back.

    ReplyDelete