I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Sunday, November 13, 2011

May the Gulf Breeze Force be with Us

I never joined a sorority when I was in college. I stuck to the wisdom of Dillinger when asked about robbing banks. "That's where the money is." I didn't see the purpose of joining of social club without my favorite part of being social. Anyhow, at Tulane the Greek system left something to be desired. But I did my homework and managed to party from Gator Growl in Gainsville to Homecoming in Baton Rouge. But my favorite experiences were always in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Roll Tide! There was a certain mystery and wonder to the greeks there. Their homes were large brick mansions full of history and the people were sweet and oh so cute.The girls had perfectly manicured nails and hair. Tradition ruled-Dresses and suits for a football game. Whether they were sincere in their love for one another I would never know but I couldn't help but feel like I was never going to fit in their perfect little world. They were too sweet, too perfect, too....Southern. But, oh, could they party. Just think of the stuff of legends....and add a notch.
    I was reminded of my college days this Halloween in Gulf Breeze. As we had been warned- it is a big deal here. And they were right. At five, the streets were closed to traffic and hundreds of kids came out in costumes. We were ready with our 850 pieces of candy and Star Wars themed costumes. We toured our neighborhood which included several haunted houses and several open houses. It would seem, while the kids of the neighborhood ran around, their parents just opened their doors (and their liquor cabinets) and had a good, old fashioned rage. People we never met invited us into their homes for chili and cocktails. They were all so....nice and welcoming...and trusting. At one point a girl told her mom(who we never met) "I'm going trick or treating with Eva." to which her mom said, "Okay."
We were gone for an hour with this girl and Mike went back to this home(which wasn't the girl's house) to return her. At that point, a very inebriated mother took Mike and Eva back home in her golf cart-hitting a few kids and dogs on her way. I was reminded of good old Alabama and it's perfect Southern greeks, realizing that they had married one another and moved here. Everyone living in little mansions, perfectly pretty, perfectly sweet and perfectly Southern. And they couldn't be more genuine in their acceptance of us. So despite the fact that I have grown out of the party scene and consider a good time a G Rated movie matinee WITHOUT the kids, I will dress up my kids and have the candy stocked each Halloween here. Roll Tide! Geax Tigers! Go Gators and Seminoles alike. The Harris' have on their pledge pins.


 
Coda


Beau-bacca and Coda

Princess Gi-Leah, Beau bacca and Coda

The gang is all here

Princess G-Leah


Gluke and Evame were in on the fun too. 

We got Vanessa in on the fun

And Mike and I finished off the cast of characters






By the way, the babies are now 6 months old and here are the stats:
Beau 15 lb 25 oz  Height 25.5 inches She flips over on her own.
Gisele 15lb 13 oz Height 26.5 inches Does "El Pollito" with her hands. 
Carlos 16lb 13 oz Height 26 inches Holds up his arms to be held.

Kid-ism
Golden playing Captain America and talking to himself. "It's been seventy years. Not school years. Real years. Three hundred and sixty five day years."

Eva talking to her friend Vanessa. "In December I get baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. That means when we are playing and I want to kill you a little voice tells me not to."

Eva comes home from school. "Mom, I need to write the names of the soldiers in our family on these stars and hand them into school. They are for Veterinary Day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- that almost sounds like a movie. Very interesting description of your Gulf Breeze Proper neighborhood! It's nothing like that anywhere else around here- that I know of anyway. Sounds nice though- nice, and a little creepy, but mostly nice. You are obviously part of an exclusive and elite group!! The old southern money crowd, from the sounds of it. I've always found that sort of lifestyle fascinating! I think a few of your neighbors have kids in Merrylee's Kindermusik class. I've never met the kids' moms- just their nannies or Grandmas. I didn't realize Alabama was so proper. Unexpected for a state school. I'd heard Ol' Miss was like that though. Very classy and full of tradition. I loved your kids' costumes!!! That's going to be tough to top next year!

    ReplyDelete