I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Everything In Between Summer and Thanksgiving 2016 (We've been busy...and lazy)

 We returned from Europe with a full load of activities scheduled. Eva had a month long summer intensive ballet schedule for July and finished strong with a stellar performance. I can see her growth in leaps and bounds. 



Who made the clock go faster and bring on the new school year way sooner than I was ready for. The triplets (wait for it....) started kindergarten...together.....in the same class....and despite my begging, they wanted to take the bus to school. Yes, I followed it to school a few times, wouldn't you? But as the routine became, well, routine it was a small joy to walk these ever amazing children out each morning and say a quick prayer before the bus whisked them away to their new adventure each day. Also a sadder, yet very cute routine was watching Nico, ever the optimist, get his shoes and backpack on and race to the curb to wait with his siblings for the big yellow bus. He was always the first to kiss me goodbye and wish me a good day and this was always his sad little face of disappointment when he was left behind. 



 Equally terrorizing was Golden's first day of high school. I took him to orientation earlier in the month and was sure that he would be okay with home schooling but as usual that kid blows me away with his confidence and jumped into high school with vigor. I won't lie, I cried the first day of class. I cried in a workout class full of women who comforted me and told me it was okay to be freaked out at this huge milestone multiplied by four. I was grateful for understanding that day because I was mortified that I was that mother, the oversensitive and nostalgic mother that cried over the fact her triplets ran into the class without so much as a look back at me. I heard it said that their actions meant that I had raised them right and independent, I just called them all traitors. Time will tell who was right. 
Golden off to his first day of high school and triplets off to their first day of kindergarten.

Mrs.. Norman. The triplets fearless first teacher


The triplets had their first soccer team experience. They were the stingrays. Gigi may go pro, Carlos liked to run more than he liked to run and get the ball, and Beau, well she made lots of goals, mostly for the other teams because as she told her coach when he clarified that her goal was on the other side of the field, "It's too far, I'll just kick it into this one."





Halloween was disappointing because the children revolted and refused to do a themed group costume this year. The closest I got was that some mother decided to have a Harry Potter themed party two days before Halloween which meant I needed to come up with two costumes per triplet. In order, Beau is Hedgewig the owl, Gigi was Hermione after she took the potion that turned her into a cat, and Carlos was a snitch, gold face and all. By the way, when we arrived at said party, the only children in actual costumes were the triplets. Not even the birthday girl got dressed up. 



 On Halloween night I dressed up as a day of the dead character. Beau stole my headpiece for this picture. The kids were a splatter of characters. If they weren't so cute I would have been upset that we didn't match. 





From September to November we had three big birthdays. Golden turned the big 15 in September, Nico became a threenager in November, and Eva became a teenager in December. I had no time to ask them their birthday questions and may do so for their half birthdays. 


Nico my ever present side kick. I love to hear him sing all the inappropriate lyrics to me in the car. 

Eva's birthday breakfast

Her birthday cake with grands, Megan and Mike via FaceTime

He may be a teenager but he still wanted nerf guns and books for his birthday.


Paw Patrol cake for the lover of all things Paw Patrol and Umi Zumi
For Thanksgiving we headed over to Destin to Baytowne Wharf to celebrate Nico's birthday along with other festive treats. The kids went ice skating which looked more like old people getting around in their walkers but they had so much fun.

We caught the movie Moana and enjoyed the decorations, had a great Thanksgiving meal at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and finished with a parade and special visit from Santa. After he asked all the small kids what they wanted Golden said, "Excuse me, don't you want to ask me what I want?" Of course he did Golden. 









It was good to be all together again. Life has a way of scurrying us off to different locations but the holiday was a great one to recharge and enjoy one another again. 









No comments:

Post a Comment