I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Very First Garage Sale Tale


     Almost a year and a half after moving here, I had only two days to clean my garage. I rented a Pod for a month in January, telling myself if I procrastinated it would cost me big money. (Always a motivator for me). At first, the task seemed daunting. When we first moved here we lived in almost 6000sq feet and a pole barn. My excuse for most things these days is the triplets were pretty much crowning during the move and I had no time to organize a proper garage sale then. So....everything came with us and filled our two car garage to the point I couldn't walk through most of it. 


The before shot. This was the clean side of the garage



   When you start cleaning a garage, at least for me, my first concern was the producers of " Hoarders" was going to pull up to my driveway. The second concern was that now my neighbors could take a peek at my dark secret. I was almost willing to go stand out front and flash my underwear hoping to distract the passers by. But once I took out the first three large items and separated my driveway into "trash" "garage sale" and "keep", I was on fire. It felt like a spiritual high to be getting my garage, and subconsciously, my mind, in order. 

     I was so tired after the cleansing, that I really debated whether I wanted to try a garage sale at all. But, January for the Harris family is a sad time and I needed something to keep me busy.Thus, the garage sale extravaganza came to fruition. I put an add in the paper Wednesday to seal it in stone and spent the babies' nap time Thursday sorting things up in the Pod. And to make it super fun, I baked cookies all night for the kids to sell. 


     We set up at 7:30 and I had a mini panic attack thinking no one was going to show up. But I shook it off and went outside to set up. To add to the adventure the weather was a balmy 40 degrees that morning in Florida. Four hours in an episode of garage sale survivor I thought to myself. Maybe I would just stay inside and scream at the people through the window to leave their money on the doorstep and leave. Or maybe I would just pay them to go away. The fire that got me going was when my husband and our friend Juan began to snicker at some of the items I put out: snow tires, a used folded Mardi Gras sign, multiple appliance manuals. Juan laughed and told me "I will match any money you make from selling these manuals." Then my husband and him gave each other one of those knowing, "Women!" shrugs and laughed. 


Lesson Number One when dealing with Cubans: Don't underestimate them.

Lesson Number One when dealing with Cuban woman: Don't make us angry.

    My goal was to make $150 dollars, approximately, the price of the Pod for the month. My first customer came at 7:50 and bought my used up Mardi Gras sign and table ornament that was missing its base, and plastic cups I got for free during a Mardi Gras five years ago. I asked her if she wanted a manual but she declined. I was a bit disappointed. The second customer bought some pants and a picture frame without the glass. She too, declined the manual. At 8am people flocked in and I must say, the diverse amounts of folks we met that day was a treat that made the time fly. An artist came in and spent an hour telling me what she did which is pretty cool. She can take any picture of your kids art work and dye wool to match it and make a rug or purse with that design. An older woman named Dorothy spent almost three hours picking baby clothes that she, in turn, donates to the many shelters in town. So many people knew her at the garage sale. It warmed my heart to hear her stories. I was planning on giving her the box of clothes when she came to pay but someone beat me to it. A woman came up to me and gave me thirty dollars for her box so, in turn, I gave her another box of clothes. It was a good moment of feeling like things were right in the world. Later, Dorothy told me that today her sister was in the hospital and was probably going to die,and it was also the anniversary of her son's death. She said this made her day a bit brighter. I told her I completely understood having had a garage sale for the same reason. 

     Not all was fun and games, there were moments of fierce haggling. Like when a guy offered me a dollar for a Gloria Estefan album but I talked him down to fifty cents because it was in a box marked "fifty cent albums" Yeah, I'm a shark. I was a closer on several deals with the line, "What's the price that's going to get you to take this home?" All in all, the sale was a success. Especially when I sold four manuals. I decided that when people would come to pay I would ask them if they wanted one of their items for free. Their interest peaked I would then tell them I would sell them a manual for $1 then they could have one of their items for free. SOLD! The funny thing is that when I would hand them the manual(that they didn't want), most of them leafed through them and picked another manual instead of the one I gave them. Like they wanted to choose the junk they were getting. Whatever the case, the highlight of my day was when my husband and Juan returned from their outing and I asked him to pay up. In all, the clean up was pretty easy having sold most of the items. I made a little over $750 for four hours of work(not including the money we made from my cookies which Eva kept) and came away with some great stories. Where at first I felt embarrassed over someone picking through my stuff and judging me, in the end I felt disgusted that I would have been so quick to throw so much of my hard earned cash away. Lastly, I learned that most people announce their garage sales on Craigslist and that I could have had so much more traffic if I would have done that. Oh, well maybe next time.



1 comment:

  1. WOW! I've never had a garage sale, because I assumed I wouldn't really make any money. That's awesome, I'm so impressed you made so much!!

    ReplyDelete