I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Friday, December 28, 2012

New Years Thoughts

I had to give a talk at church about Elder Uchtdorf's Of Regrets and Resolutions general conference speech. After reading it I was left with several questions and thought I would leave them here for some end of year soul searching. I know that in my life, my family has always come first but sometimes that isn't enough. Sometimes, you need to magnify your calling as a parent and tell those around you what you think of them. Teach them to do the same because life is fleeting.

In the talk, Elder Uchtdorf stated the top statements heard by people reaching the end of their life. Here they are in bold face and my thoughts follow.


I Wish I had Spent More time with the People I love:

Who is my role model? Do they know it.
Who do I look up to ? Do they know it. 
Who is someone I love? Have I told them today? This week? This month?
What life lesson did someone teach me that made a huge difference in my life? Do they know?
If I had a month left in life, what would I do? Would I change what I normally do and who I am normally with? 
If I had a day, would this change?

I wish I Had Lived up to my Potential:

If I won the lottery how would my life be different? Would my relationship change with my family? Why? 
What is it about the money that makes it possible for me to be happier or fulfill the potential I think I have? Is there any other way to accomplish it even if it is harder and maybe  requires humility?
How would my life be different if I had no fear?
How would my life be different if I had no obstacles to overcome?Would it be better? Would I be better?
It there was nothing stopping me, what would I become…….
I wish I could be……..
Heavenly Father wishes I could be……Are these two questions answered the same?


I Wish I Had Let Myself be Happier

Joy is……
The thing that makes me happiest in life is……
The thing that I look forward to each day is….
The thing that makes me happy that I don't have in my life……Is this something Heavenly Father would want for me?Is there an alternative that makes me just as happy and is Heavenly Father okay with that?

What is my finish line?
What has made me happy in the journey so far……?Does it/ they know?
If I could do this year over again, I would ……..
If I could do this year over again, Heavenly Father would want……Are these two answers similar?

Of Resolutions:

Next years goals/ to do list…..How many are outwardly goals and how many are inwardly? Can I accomplish the inwardly ones first?
I will resolve to spend more time with the ones I love…..How?
I will strive more earnestly to become the person God wants me to be….How?
I resolve to find happiness, regardless of my circumstances. How daily? How monthly? 

No comments:

Post a Comment