I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Things I should tell my kids more.


With this being some sort of magical date, 12-12-12, I thought I would mark the occasion with some words of wisdom I should remind my kids about. I thought I'd list ...well, twelve.

1. Take time to appreciate what is around you.
     I spent most of my twenties trying to hurry up and get a degree, so I could hurry up and get a job, so I could hurry up and get an apartment, so I could hurry up and get a man, so I could hurry up and get a family. I was in such a hurry accomplishing things that I missed a lot of the adventures that I was experiencing or didn't see them for the wonderful moments that they were.
2. Laugh at yourself before anybody else beats you to it.
     This one I got covered. My motto growing up was, "Don't take the FUN out of dysFUNctional." Laughter will carry you through hard times and if you can find just one person who can be there with you laughing and sympathizing, you've  got it made.
3. If given the opportunity, travel.
     Whether it is to the corner or around the globe, make sure you see the world from a different angle then from your front door. Nothing gives you more perspective about who and what you are in the world then trying to order breakfast in a foreign language from someone who thinks you're an idiot and will most likely spit in your food. But you will not care because the scenery is so beautiful, the accents are adorable and the mundane still gets your adrenaline pumping. I can't tell you what I got for my birthday last year but I can tell you about every vacation in my life with great detail.
4. Believe in your heart that people are genuinely good but but prepare yourself as if the whole world was out to get you.
     You can be nice without being an idiot I guess I'm trying to tell you. It's sad but true.
5. In life, beautiful people may have more chances to be lucky at first, but educated people will have the ability to  make their own luck throughout their whole life. Smarts don't fade.
6. Don't waste time being jealous of people who are smarter, cuter, richer etc. It won't change a thing. And chances are someone is wasting their time being jealous of how smart, cute and rich they think you are.
7. Believe in something or fall for everything.
8. Be kind to the less fortunate because chances are you'll end up there at least once in your life.
9. Learn to love with all your heart, even if it gets pummeled and mutilated, just get up and start again because to love half heartedly leaves you with an unfulfilled life.
10. When making friends, look for people who exude kindness. If they are talking bad about other people to you, chances are they will eventually talk bad about you.
11. Live your life as if you are being filmed because you probably are and film is forever.
12. This should be the first and maybe only one to remember. You are a daughter/son of Heavenly Father. This makes you perfect. More perfect than anything Hollywood could put on film and New York could ever publish. And God just wants to shower you with love and blessings if you just let him.

No comments:

Post a Comment