I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Thirteen Years and Counting




Gulf Coast Hotels





     With a terribly busy schedule and five little rug rats to care for, our thirteenth anniversary had been put on hold for a couple of weeks. Luckily, we have the best MIL and FIL in the planet who volunteered to watch the kids while Mike and I escaped for a day to Point Clear, Alabama. Being a stay at home mom of 1 1/2 year old triplets plus two tweens, I can honestly say that to go anywhere, even the garage, for a day seemed enticing. But my husband came up with a grand plan. He had heard about the Grand Hotel in Point Clear, Alabama from office staff. A historic hotel that has been around since the 1800s....blah, blah, blah....it had a spa. I almost peeled out of the driveway without him after hearing that. On a regular day, I am a knot of muscle spasms after bending down, chasing and cleaning up after the children but this past week I also started Cross Fit which should be called...Cross your Fingers because that's what I do each class hoping I'll survive. I thought it would help me avoid osteoporosis but right now being a bit hunched over doesn't seem so bad.

    On Friday, Mike and I set out without the brood with nothing more than a suitcase and a smile. We had the windows down and stopped along the way for whatever sparked our fancy. All of our concerns over this unknown hotel vanished as we drove into the resort. It looked like something out of an F.Scott Fitzgerald novel. The Spanish moss covered oaks led us to the main lobby that was equally inviting, filled with fresh flowers and miles of timber. We really just did a whole lot of nothing until our massages which surpassed our expectations. We almost ordered room service but had reservations at a local restaurant and I am glad we went. The Wash House was just that, the old wash house of the Punta Clara Home. The food was delicious and did I mention how romantic with the fireplace and string lights criss crossing the ceiling.


Our room

The pool

The Wash House





The Chef's Garden was amazing



     The next day we had a delightful buffet breakfast and my favorite were the Alabama hickory smoked sausage and the homemade pecan chutney and whipped cream on my waffles. As I sat there I thought that Dirty Dancing could have been shot here and I wanted to yell, "No one backs Baby in a corner." After a walk around the resort with stunning views of Mobile Bay, we headed off to the downtown Fairhope area to see the shops. I bought some antique French wooden dough bowls to remember my trip by and Mike and I just strolled hand in hand like newly weds. There was even a moment when we had our hands in each other's back pocket like high schoolers. 

     What I enjoyed the most was just hanging out with my best friend. With five kids around, you barely get the chance to hold hands, tell jokes, whisper sweet nothings or even sit still and think. I love my husband, but given five minutes alone with him I am always reminded of just why I fell in love with him. And it was nice to have a moment to take inventory on our life and know that after thirteen years, I would not only do it again but that I love him more now then I could of ever imagined as I stood across from him at the Mormon temple years ago. 

Even up close, my husband is still flawless in my eyes.


I think this summed up our thirteen year anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds heavenly!!! I'm so glad you took pictures, what a great trip. Happy Anniversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete