I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

As For Me and Eva….We Believe: Secrets From Santa





     Yesterday Eva and I watched a very well done mocumentary (at least I thought it was fake at first) about a women who is documenting the mysterious man from her past known as Lucas N Cast who seems to pop up wherever there is a Christmas miracle and who seems to be ageless by the pictures that have been documented of him. We were riveted as the final scene shows the film maker receiving a letter that has been in a safety box at the police station addressed with her name on it. The letter had been there for a year before she appeared. To her surprise it was her letter to Santa when she was a little girl asking to meet him and bring her parents back. She also found a letter from Santa along with a picture she took with her parents shortly before they died with Santa Claus who happened to be Lucas N Cast (scramble these words and you get Santa Claus)So her wish had come true after all. 

     Eva quickly began to write her letter to Santa and asked about 100 questions. This is the letter she received from him the following day. 




Dear Eva,

     I loved your letter. It reminds me of how witty and funny you can be all the time. So many questions from someone so young can only mean you are destined for a life full of adventure and greatness. I will do my best to answer the ones I can.     
First, I have on average 1 million elves here in the North Pole. This number changes daily depending on how many elves are out on special assignment (such as Dew Drop and Christopher) They speak a little higher than most humans would speak but to them they sound just like you and I sound to each other. Different voices, different bodies, different sizes. They can sing in an octave that makes dogs bark so we banned them from singing when delivering presents so as not to disturb everyone.
Second, I have always been Santa Claus as long as I have been Santa Claus. Who I was before is a secret I can never speak of.
Third, I shave every day but the beard grows back. The movies got that one right.
Fourth, How I met Mrs. Claus was at a Christmas party in her home town. She was and will always be my favorite cookie.
 As for the question you didn’t ask that Christopher informed me of…well lets just say that I know families can be together forever.

    Stay wonderful,


Santa Claus



      I get a bit tired of the non believers trying to rain on our parade. They say things like, "How do you expect one man to do all that in one night." or " Some people miss the whole reason for the season." Well to these folks I say bah humbug. Do you say that a movie is spoiled by the pop corn or that dessert takes away the satisfaction of a good meal? ( If you answered yes to these questions just stop reading and go staple antlers to your dog because you have a city worth of presents to steal in a few days.) 
    

    I was a non believer for a while as a young adult and it was a very dark and sad time for me. Thankfully, Santa gave me a second chance when I had kids and even though my window had closed, their's were wide open to receive all the magic and wonder that comes with believing in the magic of the season. 

     In our home we celebrate the birth of our Savior. We read the scriptures and count our blessings for this, the most sacred and wonderful miracle that has ever occurred in this world. We don't just do this in December but throughout the entire year. We never forget about the Savior and my family feels blessed for it. But I must say that when watching the news every day it is hard to see the good in the world. There are atrocities that make me wonder if this is the end. Luckily, with the help of the Christmas spirit we are all able to see that all is not lost. There is always stories of good tidings during the holidays and it reinforces the fact that good still conquers evil, that the majority of humanity wants to bring about good. And for my children, it is a time of innocence. When there are still elves working frantically, reindeer flying rapidly around, and Santa still keeping an eye on them. Unicorns and all other wonders still dancing in their heads along with every other possible dream they can imagine can come true at any moment. There is plenty of time to be an adult, there will be endless chances to hear bad news, be disappointed, have real fears over their safety. But today, we choose to believe and I thank Mr. Claus and his entourage for all their help and generosity towards this world. 


     Just to solidify this thought, Santa visited me today. Not personally but here is what happened. I thought I would be a secret Santa to the car behind me in the drive through. I paid for their meal. THe next day, I went to the grocery store with my little ones and when I went to check out a woman from the bakery who I greet regularly came over and handed me a gift card that said #sprinklejoy on it and said, "You know, we have these cards to hand out to folks who we think deserve a little help and you are always so kind and your children are always so happy and well behaved that we couldn't think of who better to give this to." I almost cried. It was just so nice. I only hoped that the person behind me in line felt this warm and fuzzy inside and paid it forward. Here was another example of small yet meaningful Christmas kindness at work. 


     This week we have the grandparents coming into town, the Nutcracker performance to attend, cookies to bake, presents to wrap and elves to clean up after. At least twice a day I will thank my Heavenly Father for this time to spend with my family making cherished memories and we will continue to help Santa in passing out the joy. I hope that I can believe for years to come and that the spirit of Christmas is always alive and well in this home.







No comments:

Post a Comment