I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Watch out Chicago, the Harris/Perry Gang Has Arrived!

















      "I'd like to do something fun for Anthony's 40th birthday," began the conversation with my friend Natalie. Her husband, one of Mike's good friends, is the smartest man we know, but unlike other really smart people, Anthony is fun to hang out with and enjoys life beyond the slides of cancerous tissue he calls work, mostly in the outdoors. That is why I found Nat's next sentence a bit odd. "You know the dance tour for Julianne and Derek Hough's Move Beyond might be fun to catch." Earlier that week Natalie had tagged me on Instagram with a picture of the announcement saying something to the effect, "How about it?" 

    I assumed she meant a girls trip because never in a million years would I think to myself, "Hey self, you know what the smart as a whip outdoors man would want to do for his birthday? Move Beyond dance show. Dang straight self!" So as not to offend Nat I gently prodded her with something like, " There is no way Anthony would want to do this on his birthday. How about biking up a mountain or kayaking some dangerous straight with my husband? His life insurance is up to date." As if she didn't even here me she continued, "Look it's touring through Arizona and Utah but let's go some place I've never been. And thus began "Anthony's" dream trip to Chicago to see a dance show on his birthday.  This was huge for me because since the kids have been born we couldn't remember ever taking a couples trip anywhere. I know it sounds odd but no one wanted to volunteer to care for six infants who were mostly all nursing. But I said "yes" to Nat immediately because I was having one of those "if you think about anything too long you'll never do it" moments and honestly I'm glad we did. 

    Natalie purchased the tickets and I (who had been to Chicago before) planned the rest. It became an ongoing joke when I would text her suggestions such as: 

Me: What would Anthony rather do, go sail or shop.
Nat: Shop.
Me: Are you sure about that? 
Nat: Shop for sure!


Me: Would he rather go on a walking food tour or a Cubs game
Nat: Food tour 
Me: Are you really asking him?
Nat: Of course I am. 

Me: Does he want Steaks or Indian food?
Nat: Oh I hate Indian food. Steaks for sure.
Me: Don't you mean Anthony.
Nat: Of course, I meant Anthony. He not me hates Indian food.
Me: Would you rather just leave the boys at home for Anthony's birthday? 
Nat: (Long pause in order to really think about it)
Me: (Before she could answer) Mike already knows about Chicago and wants to go.
Nat: Boys can come I suppose.


I called up my concierge at American Express and had him wrap up our points and got ourselves a snazzy room at the Four Seasons Chicago 

It was a short weekend with a lot of activities packed in but I was so excited to hang with the Perrys. We met these two when Mike was in medical school in New Orleans. The husbands became fast friends and talked about all things nerdy, but I must say I was a bit nervous when we were invited to their house for dinner. I was older than Natalie and only knew she had been a cheerleader. Other than both of us having become new moms what could we possibly talk about.  I have always been grateful that I took that dangerous step of entering the Perry compound and interacting with the  super hyper, always positive, never a bore, Natalie Perry. What did we have in common you ask? Besides an incredible ability to shake our booty, I'm still trying to figure it out but I always like the results. Needless to say, the entire weekend was non stop laughter. So many moments that were unintentionally hilarious (mostly thanks to Natalie) 

Friday

Land and without even planning it, run smack into the Perrys on our way to luggage claim, have our private car take us to the hotel where we immediately head out to eat our way down the Magnificent Mile. 
First stop was in fact shopping at Patagonia where we had our first great experience of our eating/walking. Sprinkles ATM machine, 

then we were off to Portillo's for Chicago's best dogs. The boys were so smitten to be together as you can see by this picture. 
We travelled down to the Tribune Tower where Mike played tour guide and told us all of the important things that happened at Bloody Nose Ridge. (Find video on IG. Still makes me laugh) And to recover we had popcorn from Garrett's
The boys at Lego Store. 



Dinner to follow at Joe's Stone Crab where we celebrated Anthony turning forty with crab claws and warm towels and lemon hand washing at the table. I asked Natalie if Anthony would prefer a bike ride in the morning or visiting the museums where all intellectual folks visiting Chicago go. Of course, Anthony chose the bike ride.That was until 

Saturday 

It was a brisk forty degrees in the morning and although it was sunny, "Anthony" changed his mind and decided he sure did want to see the museums. I guess we forgot it was Earth day so the world came out to continue to wish Anthony a great birthday week. We bought the City Pass with the concierge. I highly recommend doing this to avoid lines if you are going to more that one attraction during your stay. We started the day at the Field Museum where we introduced the Perrys to, guess Sue?, that's right Sue, the largest whole dinosaur found. That's not her real head, it's too heavy. The real thing is upstairs and looks just like this fake head. My favorite is the gallery of jewels wear I hope to visit when there is an EMP in the city and I will help myself to all the shiny things.






Happy Earth Day/ Anthony weekend


After taking a quick walk around the Shedd Aquarium we headed to Lou Malnatis for deep dish pizza. Until we got there, the Perry's kept thinking I was taking them to see the highly secretive Illuminati. I think they were happy in the end. I must hand it to Mrs. Perry. She pulled off the greatest surprise for Anthony's birthday. She managed to get MY friend Susan to drive in for lunch to meet up with us girls.....and Anthony. To distract me from her entrance, Anthony spilled a glass of water all over me. He said it was a mistake but I saw it for what it was, an amazing slight of hand. 



     Like Natalie, Susan was another surprise friendship from NOLA. We had the funnest, and most irreverent play dates together. She is truly a woman of many layers. After Susan arrived, I realized that Natalie was in fact not suffering from an intestinal parasite because she insisted that she would eat two medium deep dish pizzas by herself. We were taking bets how much she would finish before realizing it was for the secret guests. I sure loved Natalie's secret birthday present for Anthony (Do you see why I asked her what Anthony wanted to do continuously?)

   True story: After lunch we said goodbye to The Christiansen's (who I am sure had secret plans to stay in the city and party like civilized people even though they said they had to rush home because they left their children alone...blah blah.)Natalie tells me she was texting Susan the entire morning trying to pinpoint when we would meet. I asked her if the waitress knew and this is the story she tells me without a hint of humor:

"Well, when she sat us down I had to find a way to get more chairs and a table added without alerting you that Susan was coming so I went to the back where the restrooms were and saw this young busboy. I grabbed his arm and told him to follow me back to the bathrooms. I kept turning around and telling him 'Shh! I have a friend who's coming." It was Nat's naivety about what she had done (or my dirty mind) that made this funny. 

Right there I stopped walking and tried very hard to control my hysterical laughter. I kept asking her to repeat the story to me where I would interpret for her what the said busboy was seeing.

Nat: Grabbing a young strangers arm and pulling him to the dark, quiet bathroom. "Hey, come here a second."

What busboy is thinking: "Dude , I think this cougar wants to have her way with me in the bathroom."

Nat: Pressing her finger to her lip and leaning in to the busboy. "Shh! I have a friend coming."

What busboy is thinking: "Dude, I think I died and went to heaven. Two cougars want to have their way with me in the bathroom." 


I'm not sure how Natalie managed to get rid of the busboy but I didn't push for an answer I wasn't ready to hear if you know what I mean.(wink, wink, nudge, nudge) 


We made it under the El train and over to Millenial Park to play with the bean. That thing never gets old for me. 








You can just see that Mike is kissing me in background as I took this picture



We stopped for hot chocolate at the Goddess and the Baker and headed up the Willis Tower (formally the Sears Tower) where I made my husband pose on a glass precipice for these pictures. He hates hights but look at these shots. Can you blame me?






We changed into our show attire and headed out to dinner at RPM Steak and had yet another great meal. Highlights were Mike's Hokkaido Snow beef. It's tasted like butter for butter foodies but it was meat. And I just liked the fact we asked for cotton candy and they brought it out. Not even on the menu. 

Snow beef


Finally, what got us all here in the first place. We headed out to the Chicago theatre to see the show Anthony had waited so long for. 






Our seats were so stinking close to the stage that we managed ( by we I mean my husband who can not, not catch something even though it's the last thing he wants)to catch Derek's shirt that he ripped off during the first half of the show. Mike's comment: "He's a solid size 6." 


If you haven't seen the show and know it's coming near you. Walk don't run to see this show. I volunteered my husband to dance and sing but they didn't choose him but John (the one that did get picked) thank you for your enthusiasm. We will talk about you longer than we will talk about this show. The best surprise was that Anthony and Mike really liked this show especially when a fan screamed out, "You're my bucket list" to Derek which he quickly replied, "No, you're my bucket list." We walked home reminiscing about the day and had Mike protect us with his various body guard skills as we walked into the darkest street in town. 

Sunday

     To end a great birthday weekend for Anthony, Nat and I had massages at the Four Season's Spa while Anthony and Mike stayed in the room. We had a fabulous breakfast and said adios to this fun couple. Mike and I got to stick around a bit and caught a movie at the best theatre ever. We had reclining seats that laid flat as a bed and had food delivered to us as we watched the show. I don't even know what we watched. It wasn't important. Farewell Chicago. Always a blast. I'm already looking forward to the next couples get away. 




No comments:

Post a Comment