I Dream in Cuban

I Dream in Cuban

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Happy 13th Birthday Golden



     It's official. We have a teenager in the house. You can tell because he dressed himself for his birthday picture and I had no control over it. Other signs of this are an irritating mustache that keeps appearing on his upper lip no matter how many times I shave it off and a distinct teenage boy smell you can find every day after school. He is now taller than me and in his father's shoes-literally. I am getting the hand me downs from when his feet were smaller. 

     Despite all I just said, Golden is a pleasure to raise. He does his chores without complaints unless you ask him directly if he likes them. He is funny and has a laugh that will double you over laughing yourself because it is from the such a genuinely childlike place of wonderment. It's like watching fireworks for the first time every time. His teachers and friends love him and he is popular amongst his peers. We just love our Golden boy and I was particularly excited to ask him all of my questions.

     


How does it feel to be a teenager? Okay. 
Do you feel any different? Yes,I feel older.
What advice would you give your brothers and sisters about growing up? There will be a lot of rules.Rules that you really, really hate.Wait are you copying everything I'm saying?
What is your favorite color? Blue
What is your favorite tv show? Sponge Bob Square Pants
What is your favorite food?Pizza
What is your favorite memory so far? The day I turned thirteen.
Why? Because I'm a teenager now. The only one in the family.
Are you glad that you are tall? yes
What do you want to be when you grow up? A video game programmer.
What's your favorite vacation? Hawaii
Do we (your parents)embarrass you? Yes. 
When? Every time you talk about me. 
Do you mind being seen in public with us? Ummm. A little bit.
What about us embarrasses you? Whenever you talk about me to my friends. You always talk about embarrassing stuff about me in the past that was embarrassing. Or like when you dance. That really embarrasses me.
Who's your favorite sibling? I won't tell? Nico (unless he ends up like the triplets) I can't believe your writing everything down I'm saying
Why is he your favorite? He's a little quiet, and doesn't throw things and he doesn't scream so loud he makes your ears pop.
It seems like your talking about experiences. Who does all that? The triplets. Have you heard them.
But when you think we aren't looking, I see you cuddling them. Do you cuddle them? Don't write that.Erase it. 
Does it embarrass you that I know you love them? Yes. 
What do you want to tell an older you, like a married you? Live in a nice mansion with a flat screen tv and a butler. How do you get rich anyway? 
Kid, I'm still trying to figure that out.
What's your favorite holiday? Christmas
What's your favorite part of Christmas? The presents (then he stops and chuckles and pats my back) and of course spending time with the family. 
What do you think about being a Deacon? It's nice. I like passing the Sacrement, for instance. 
What do you think Heavenly Father thinks about you? That I'm awesome. Are you still writing everything I'm saying (big sigh)?
Being that you are 13, tell me 13 things about yourself?
1 I like video games especially skylanders
2. I have a lot of rules 
3. I look forward to being in high school
4. Sometimes I'm kind of annoyed with everything
5. I'm handsome
6. I'm going through puberty now…yeah just write that down for a bunch of kids to know that in the future. 
7. I'm tall
8. I'm funny
9. I'm mature
10. I have my own iPad but not a phone (he says this with anger toward me)
11. I take out the trash and that annoys me
12. I spend time on the computer watching Skylander videos
13. I have to watch my brothers and sisters all the time (This is an exaggeration of extreme proportions, I must add as his mother)

Do you have any thoughts about our government? No not really
Are you at least proud to be American? yes
How about being proud of your Cuban heritage? It's good.
What about it is good? Well the food for instance, yours is really good.

Eva just walks into the room and tells him that they have rented a movie he likes. He gets up from our interview like his butt is on fire and says OK, I got to go. ( He is making pop corn in less than a second after his departure)

Refusing to let the interview end I scream out "Do you know I love you? (Without a pause) Of course.

Well, just in case you ever wonder, I love you like my life depended on it. And most days it does. 

Happy Birthday Gogo Bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment